Advertisement

Big White Spider

topic posted Mon, April 10, 2006 - 9:06 AM by  Leja VouX
Share/Save/Bookmark
I'm so glad to stumble across this tribe. I'm mezmerized and frightened by spiders, and i really get spooked when they surprise me from above. I had an experience when i was 10 that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.

I was sleepy and working on homework in dim light. My bedroom had a heating vent in the ceiling that the grate had fallen off of. Out of the corner of my eye in that area, I saw the shadow of a huge spider falling. This alarmed me, and I looked around to find it but couldn't find anything anywhere. I decided that maybe it was just a really freaky effect from being tired and decided to go to bed.

I slept like a log, flat on my back until around 3. I woke up to a white tarantula-like spider (except it was so much less hairy, it just short of smooth. Same size, though.) sitting right in the middle of my chest, front legs raised, facing me straight on. Of course, this scared the crap out of me. Fortunately I had the covers pulled up to my chin and just threw them over the spider-and refused to enter my room for a month.

This is the thing-I live in upstate NY. This doesn't seem like a spider we would have in this area. So far I haven't even found a spider that matches these specifications anywhere in the world (not that I'm the greatest researcher) and would really like to know if anyone else knows of a spider that matches this description and/or any insights about the incident that occurs to you.

Thanks!
LejaVouX
posted by:
Leja VouX
Rochester
Advertisement
  • Re: Big White Spider

Mon, April 10, 2006 - 12:34 PM
    I can't say what kind of spider it was, but it could have been albino. In which case, you might be stimied by the coloration. Also, you were half asleep, it could have been a dream. I've often dreamed of spiders. Just last week I dreamed I was in a submarine sent to stop a sea serpent, and there was a giant (bigger than the submarine) spider trying to come in the hatch. Ironically, like your spider, it was also white.

Mon, April 10, 2006 - 7:57 PM
      I wondered if there were albino spiders! Let's put it this way-if it was a dream, it was the one time in my whole life where I've ever had a dream that so blurred reality and dream, and I'm not one to dream of spiders. While I acknowledge that you could be right, there are 2 things that have made me feel like it wasn't a dream: I've never had another dream even close to the nature of that experience, and I saw that shadow earlier, which again is another phenomenon that has yet to repeat. In a second I saw it struggle to hold on, and fall.

But the color and size of it make it seem pretty incredible to have actually happened, also. I'm open to the possibility that it could have been a rare glimpse into the astral. I've also found it interesting that it was right over my heart chakra.

Cool dream!

Tue, April 11, 2006 - 10:13 PM
        Well, could have been one of your spirit animals. The creature which cause us the most discomfort in reality (as well as those which fascinate us the most) are usually spirit animals, especially if you happen to also dream of them. I believe the animal spirit that gives you the creeps is call the shadow animal. I'm pretty sure my shadow animal would be the centipede. Gods those little critters make my stomach churn, even harmless pill bugs. But spiders, no problem. Unless, like yours, they come gunning for me, I think nothing of trapping them and depositing them outside. I always thank them for eating the anooying insects but tell them there are more bugs outside than in. ;-)

Any living thing can be an albino BTW, even plants though they don't live long (no chlorophyl). A biology teacher told me that once.
      • Unsu...

Re: Big White Spider

Fri, July 28, 2006 - 1:16 PM
        Hope this helps-Greg.

Spiders differ from insects in having eight legs rather than six and in having the body divided into two parts rather than three. The number eight laid on its side is the symbol for infinity. The number two implies the union of two forces joined together. Together they equal ten. Drop the zero and you are back to the starting point of one. The hidden message of spider is unity. The study of numerology is beneficial for those who hold this medicine.

The construction of a web is linked to the geometry of creation. In the construction of an orb web the spider releases a sticky silken thread into the wind. If the breeze carries the thread to a spot where it sticks the first bridge is formed. Spider cautiously crosses the line reinforcing it with a second. This process continues until a frame is constructed in which the web can secure itself. Bridges serve as a link tying all things together and remind us of our interconnectedness to all life.

The spider shows us that the past, the present and the future are all interwoven. It awakens our intuitive creative senses and encourages us to design the fabric of our lives from our souls original intention. If you see a spider in its web, or creating a new one, pay attention. It symbolizes where you are in the weaving of your own destiny. A study of the medicine wheel and the four directions is helpful.

Because spiders are actually very delicate they embody the energy of gentleness. Spiders are not usually aggressive unless they are defending their lives. Moving forward in all situations with a gentle strength is a skill that often needs to be learned for those with this totem. In man, the bite of a poisonous spider symbolizes a death, rebirth process. Poison enters the nervous system and the body either transmutes it or falls victim to its venom and dies.

The spider signifies the tapestry of life. The web we weave is the reality we experience. Choosing the appropriate path is one of the lessons associated with this medicine.

Sat, December 2, 2006 - 4:13 PM
    hmm, aprox the size of a tarantula, white, and standing in an upright position? in Upstate New York. Well, youre right about it probably not being a tarantua, but there are other possibilities, for starters , spiders often molt, and when they do, they are often whitish or off-white in collor and sometimes even transparent, this includes tarantulas, but when this happens this is when the spioder is at its most vulverable , in that state, the spider is so fragile as to literally CRACK if touched and then it will die. Im gueesing this was probably a common crab spider, i dont know the technical, term, ive forgotten most of my studies from years ago so thats not the correct name probably, but there are spiders that grow pretty big and like living in houses allover the world, im suessing that you probably went to sleep when the spider was molting, and then disturbed it while it was "toughening up" its skin, they prefer to molt at night in very safe conditions, the toughening up process sometimes takes as much as a few hours, but it varies. If i were you, i would look up the types of spiders that are native to the area, and then find pics of them, then imagine them white, seee if you can find a match that way. Good luck!

Mon, June 25, 2007 - 10:38 PM
      I hope this isn't a dead post but I think i may have just seen the spider you were talking about. I live in eastern long island and I just got home from hanging with my friend when on my porch i saw what looked like a daddy long leg, but it was all white and had thicker legs and a larger body. I called my friend over to show it to him but it was gone when i looked back. I know this is gonna drive me crazy until i can find a picture. This is by far the biggest spider ive ever seen outside of a zoo or something like that.

Wed, September 19, 2007 - 8:59 AM
      A long time ago I read something somewhere in my researches on different magics that spider is a good omen and if you should see one (that is not in its web or is out of place it is a message) that whatever you were thinking was the right thoughts (whether the thoughts were good or bad you were on the right track). Any memory of what you were dreaming before you woke?

Spider is definitely about creativity and I would have a good look at what creativity is happening in your life (lacking, stifled or perhaps too much). Someone else also mentioned that spider concerns the interweaving of our lives and others - the web effect. I think of it like the action reaction idea and you might want to see how your actions are affecting others or your reactions to others.

I think I would have been a little freaked being face to face with a spider of size in the attack stance. The fangs on my bird eaters are quite intimidating even when they are just resting on the aquarium wall.

Mon, September 24, 2007 - 8:36 PM
        Wow...thanks for the additional info, guys!

It's cool. to hear that others have seen something at least similar, and I do think it's possible it was an accidental import...I've heard a lot of stories about that since posting. The spider I saw could be described as looking exactly like you'd imagine an almost hairless albino tarantula-who knows, maybe that's what it was. They like heat, so being right on a chest seems like a nice place to be. S-he (obviously, I don't knw the sex and don't have even an idea) might have been going towards the heat of my head when my heavy sleep breath startled hir-thus the attack position I woke up to.

I don't remember what I was dreaming about-that was so long ago. But 2 things I do remember-I was aware of the spider while still dreaming, just at the very end. It was weird to go from sleeping to waking and have it be just the same, except that me eyes were open and I was covered with my blanket, not grass. And it was during a major Jupiter transit for me-that of course I've found out in hindsight.

Thu, October 11, 2007 - 10:02 PM
          I have a question regarding white spiders, and their meaning, etc etc.
          I recently began dating this girl, and a lot of odd, 'paranormal' type things occur with us,
          we have the same initials, often say the same thing at the same time, just to name a couple.
          Not that I'm boasting, I may jsut be crazy.
          Anyway, back on topic;
          Her car became infested with small white spiders.
          They never tried to attack us, and we just simply let them be.
          Then suddenly one day, she got into a car accident.
          It was a very minor one, but also very random.
          The damages were small, but the car had to be scrapped.
          And now the spiders are obviously gone.
          Any ideas what thats all about?
          She has also recently had dreams about white spiders, and they were very prominent roll players in the dreams.

Any helpful info you can provide?
          • Unsu...

Tue, October 23, 2007 - 5:22 PM
            Spiders are generally considered good luck. However, my personal interpretation would be that a host of white spiders would signify Divine working taking place, as the whole of reality functions on a grid/matrix/web of energy.

However, if that happened to me, I wouldn't think much of it, except that I'd be sorry to see the spiders go. I love the little guys, especially if they weren't bothersome.

Kia ora,
            Ora

Tue, March 11, 2008 - 6:39 AM
    Crazy dream last night, lots of symbols and stuff that I dont know how to process, was floating on a mattress in a lake with this girl that I had had sex with but if was just sex as I felt no particular emotions for her even though I was attracted to her and enjoyed the act. Then we were out on this lake some how there were these savage guys killing all these girls around us, one of em swam out to us to try and kill us or her I dont know, I was on the mattress and the girl fell off around the time the guy got to us, I tried to paddle the mattress to her and tried to reach out but the guy got to her first, they went under. I didnt want to give up the mattress because it seemed like our best chance for survival, and I figured she was strong enough to fight him off for some reason, but after waiting and watching the bubbles dissapear from the fight I figured maybe she had lost the fight, so I jumped in, only to see the guy below starring up at me calmly waiting for me to attack, he must have drowned her, this is where I wake up, or sorta wake up, cause as I do, there was this big white spider terrifying and beautiful on my wall, not a tarantula, but big like that! I watched it for fear it would move on me as I reached around my bed for the light, eyes fixed on this spider until for a split second I took them off it maybe to blink as the light was bright, I swear it vanished when the light came on. I should have acted sooner to save the girl, I feel crazy today. Different from the other posts, but some sorta white spider thing none the less.
    • Unsu...

Thu, June 5, 2008 - 7:57 PM
      Fear that the noble things you are doing in life will lead to disaster. Water and the mattress is instability. The spider was there to remind you that your dreams are webs you weave in your subconscious. Quite possibly that was Grandmother spider (as the native Americans say) watching over and protecting you. There's a reason dreamcatchers look like webs... ;-)

Something to try with nightmares like that is lucid dreaming. I like to immediately go back to sleep from such dreams with a positive intent that I have the ability to conquer the issue in the dream. I go right back to the same place I left off, and deal with the antagonists with this new found power that I manifest for myself. In one instance, I was able to make the pre-teenage mutant ninja monkies (seriously!) explode from the inside. A nightmare turned into a really great dream!! In fact ever since then, nightmares become alchemical experiences for me, and I think this may be translating into my life, where I know that if I just put my mind to it, I can conquer my worst irrational and subconscious fears.

Grandmother spider watches out for you as you weave consciousness webs in your sleep. ;-)

Many blessings,
      Ora

Thu, June 5, 2008 - 9:25 PM
    I was sitting at my computer yesterday when I felt this tickling on my arm. Thinking it was possibly a flying bug, I prepared to swat, but when I looked down, it was a little white spider with extremely long legs, scurrying about frantically.... like don't swat! don't swat! lol

So I walked downstairs to the kitchen and let him out the back door. Poor little guy. I must have moved and scared him witless.
    • Albino Spiders

Tue, August 9, 2011 - 7:49 PM
      Ok. So in my dream millions and millions of albino spiders are crawling out of my throat.They are filling the whole world.I remember thinking they were bad not good.Then a flood came and filled the earth and drown them all.I was in a car when it came and someone was next to me.I then reached down my throat and pulled out the sack they came from.Something happened and I was trying to destroy the sack but I woke up.Ne one have ne thoughts on this please?
      • Re: Albino Spiders

Wed, August 10, 2011 - 7:13 AM
        Spiders are considered the patron of writers, and by extension words. Is it possible that lately you're been saying or writing things which are malicious?

Wed, August 10, 2011 - 3:41 PM
          Well no.the only book I have is a prayer book where I pray for good things.but I also was going through a very intense prayers cycle.praying for deliverance. I initially thought this dream was showing me that all the bitterness inside was finally leaving me and I was to pull ito ut by the source(the sack)and it was filling the earth with bitterness so that is why the flood came sort of like a baptism of the earth.
          But since reading that spiders are good in dreams and floods are bad I am confused now.but also why were they white?

Thu, August 11, 2011 - 11:37 AM
            Dreams are always subjective. Humanity has some shared symbolism which allows others to help interpret dreams, but it also helps to talk it out. Usually your first instinct about a dream is correct. So your interpretation is probably good. As for why they were white, ask yourself how you feel about the color white, or if you have no feelings, consider your culture's feelings on the color. White is a sign of purity in some cultures, but others see it as a sign of sickness and the supernatural.

Recent topics in "Spider Medicine"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Bioluminescent Spiders Unsubscribed 4 August 18, 2012
New Moderator? Unsubscribed 0 February 23, 2010
White Spider Question? Matt 0 July 13, 2009
How has Spider helped you? Lisa 6 November 13, 2008
Namaste Spider Medicine People Ayperi 8 August 8, 2008